NFL Power Rankings 9/26/12
Are they pointless? Of course. Meaningless? Sure! But people love reading and arguing about them, so let’s give the people what they want! Power rankings? Power rankings!
1) Houston 3-0 (2)- Until the end there, the Texans defense was excellent against Peyton Manning and the Denver offense. Their top spot is well deserved.
2) Atlanta 3-0 (3)- They absolutely crushed the undefeated Chargers on the road and Matt Ryan is evolving into a stud at QB.
3) Baltimore 2-1 (5)- Torrey Smith and the Ravens showed a ton of resolve in coming back to beat the Patriots on Sunday night.
4) Arizona 3-0 (9)- The Cardinals’ defense was absolutely ferocious in a dominant win over Philadelphia that opened a ton of eyes.
5) San Francisco 2-1 (1)- The Niners got thumped pretty good by the Vikings, and it shows that this team does have a few minor flaws.
6) NY Giants 2-1 (11)- Even on a short week with injuries, they trounced Carolina on the road and are back to being an elite team.
7) Green Bay 1-2 (4)- Technically the refs cost the Packers three spots in the rankings, but their offensive line is now a huge issue.
8) Seattle 2-1 (16)- Regardless of whether they should have won the game, they would have gotten a boost in the rankings thanks to a tenacious defense.
9) Philadelphia 2-1 (7)- If the offensive line doesn’t protect Michael Vick, this team is going to sink really quickly in the rankings.
10) New England 2-1 (8)- Two-straight one-point losses doesn’t hurt them too much, but the Pats are having problems finishing games. Who’da thunk it.
11) San Diego 2-1 (12)- They got bounced hard, but will still move up due to contenders moving back to the pack. They’re on notice with a ranking bubble.
12) Chicago 2-1 (14)- The defense against the Rams was impressive, but the offense still has a lot to do, starting on Monday at Dallas.
13) Cincinnati 2-1 (23)- Their offensive creativity in the win over Washington will bode well going forward. Andy Dalton is maturing.
14) Denver 1-2 (6)- This ranking is based on reputation right now, but their schedule will get easier over time.
15) Dallas 2-1 (13)- Yes, their ranking will go down after a stinker of a win over Tampa Bay.
16) Pittsburgh 1-2 (10)- They have to clean up turnovers, run the ball and play better defense. This 16th ranking is kind.
17) Minnesota 2-1 (27)- Christian Ponder is playing great and Kyle Rudolph is emerging as his go-to target.
18) NY Jets 2-1 (18)- A lackluster win over Miami and Darrelle Revis’ injury will keep the Jets where they were last week.
19) Buffalo 2-1 (22)- The competition has been easy, but they’ve won the games they should have. Pats on deck.
20) Washington 1-2 (20)- The Skins showed fight in the loss to the Bengals, but I don’t know if they can recover from their defensive injuries.
21) Tennessee 1-2 (28)- Jake Locker was really good and the special teams even better. They could give Houston some trouble next week.
22) Detroit 1-2 (15)- Their Hail Mary was amazing, but their secondary is probably the worst in the league.
23) Tampa Bay 1-2 (19)- Their offense was absolutely pathetic, but their defense put them in a position to beat Dallas on the road.
24) Carolina 1-2 (17)- They should be ranked lower after laying a goose egg against the Giants. Cam Newton needs to mature.
25) St. Louis 1-2 (24)- The defense is there, but Sam Bradford and the offense has a ways to go before they consistently win games.
26) New Orleans 0-3 (21)- Their defense is a joke and their offense just hasn’t been the same without Sean Payton.
27) Oakland 1-2 (29)- If they can keep running the ball and forcing turnovers, they’ll be tough to beat at home.
28) Kansas City 1-2 (32)- Jamaal Charles had to have a career day to beat the hapless Saints defense, but it’ll go down as a nice win nonetheless.
29) Jacksonville 1-2 (30)- The Blaine Gabbert-Cecil Shorts connection may have saved the Jags from the bottom of the rankings.
30) Indianapolis 1-2 (26)- They just don’t have enough on either side of the ball to seal the deal on wins right now, the Vikings win aside.
31) Miami 1-2 (25)- The Jets were practically giving them the game, and they didn’t want it.
32) Cleveland 0-3 (31)- The Browns are an absolute joke on offense and their defense isn’t good enough for it to make any difference.