Former All-Pro linebacker Junior Seau was found dead at his Oceanside, Calif. home on Wednesday after he apparently shot himself to death, TMZ reports.
Seau, 43, sent text messages to his wife and three kids yesterday telling them he loved them, TMZ reports. Seau was in a 2010 car accident where he drove his car off a cliff in Carlsbad, but it was determined that he fell asleep at the wheel, rather than an attempt at taking his own life.
A call to police at 10 a.m. local time said that there was a possible suicide at the Seau residence, a dispatcher told the San Diego Union-Times. Seau reportedly shot himself in the chest, which makes sense after he said he would donate his brain to investigate concussions after his death. TMZ reports that Seau’s family did not notice Seau being depressed over the last few weeks.
Seau was a 12-time Pro Bowler who played 13 years for the Chargers, three years for the Dolphins and four for the Patriots. His life ended too tragically and too soon.
There’s a reason Brian Matusz was a top prospect for the Orioles. He can pitch, and he proved it on Tuesday night with yours truly in attendance at Yankee Stadium.
His fastball velocity is certainly not what it used to be, but his slider and changeup were crisp and he knows how to locate his pitches. Matusz got off to a slow start this season, but his last two starts have been strong for surprising Baltimore. He’s allowed one earned run in his last 12 1/3 inning and helped Baltimore earn a 7-1 win over the Yankees for Buck Showalter’s 1,000th managerial victory.
The young birds played with confidence, led by Adam Jones, Matt Wieters and Chris Davis, who is finally showing his potential as a power threat after some dark seasons with the Rangers. If Matusz can anchor the rotation along with youngster Jake Arrieta, perhaps the O’s can hang around longer than people expect.
Tuesday’s victory was Matusz’s first win in 11 months and I’m pretty sure it won’t be many more than 11 days before Matusz gets his next win.
The league has finally levied its suspensions on Saints players for their roles in implementing BountyGate on the field. Player ringleader LB Jonathan Vilma was banned for an entire year by the league, effective immediately, and three other New Orleans defenders were docked multiple games on Wednesday.
Defensine lineman Anthony Hargrove was suspended eight games, DE Will Smith four games and vocal LB Scott Fujita was suspended three games for their documented actions. This quartet of players was found to have been in concert with coaches and the general manager, who have all previously been suspended by the league for their harmful and dangerous actions. Now the punishments have been deservedly served to the players as well. Let’s hope nothing like this ever occurs in football again.